K J Smith Solicitors

Civil Partnerships

At K J Smith Solicitors we have dealt with a wide range of matters relating to Civil Partnerships, from the simple through to the extremely complicated.

Civil Partnerships apply to same-sex couples and it is important to understand that couples in a Civil Partnership have the same legal rights as married couples. This means that if you are in a Civil Partnership and the relationship breaks down, you have the right to apply for financial provision. Couples with children also have the right to resolve matters relating to their children in exactly the same way as married couples.

I don’t think it is possible to tell you how grateful I am. You were a calming influence throughout.

The process for the dissolution of a Civil Partnership and the right to apply to court is much the same as divorce, but the language used to describe the procedure is slightly different - where a Civil Partnership is concerned, the terminology is "application for dissolution" rather than "petition for divorce".

To petition for the dissolution of a Civil Partnership, the parties involved must have been in a Civil Partnership for more than one year immediately preceding the presentation of the petition. The ground for dissolution is the irretrievable breakdown of the relationship, and the petitioner, that is the person filing a petition for dissolution, must use one of four different facts to support this statement.

  1. That the other party has behaved in an unreasonable way.
  2. That the other party has deserted the petitioner for 2 years.
  3. That the parties have lived apart from each other for a continuous period of at least 2 years immediately preceding the presentation of a petition and the other party gives their consent.
  4. That the parties have lived apart for a continuous period of at least 5 years preceding the presentation of a petition.

Some couples choose to enter into a Civil Partnership Agreement before entering into a Civil Partnership. This works in a similar way to prenuptial agreements in marriage and can be very helpful in that it seeks to agree from the outset how matters such as finances will be resolved should the relationship break down.

Our Civil Partnership Solicitors can offer a free initial 45 minute appointment to give you the opportunity to meet us and find out more before deciding if you wish to proceed in instructing us to act on your behalf.

Please contact K J Smith Solicitors today on 01491 630000 (Henley on Thames), 020 7070 0330 (London), 0118 418 1000 (Reading), 01753 325000 (Windsor), 01256 584000 (Basingstoke), 01483 370100 (Guildford), 01494 629000 (Beaconsfield), 01235 375500 (Abingdonor email info@kjsmith.co.uk.

We have offices in Henley-on-Thames, London, Reading, Windsor, Basingstoke, Guildford, Beaconsfield and Abingdon however we have worked with numerous clients in the surrounding areas including Gerrards Cross, Maidenhead, Marlow, Oxford, Slough, Wokingham, and High Wycombe.

Our Locations

K J Smith Solicitors - Abingdon Office Suite 6, First Floor,
Merchant House,
5 East St. Helen Street,
Abingdon, OX14 5EG
T: 01235 375500
K J Smith Solicitors - Basingstoke Office First Floor,
26 London Street,
RG21 7PG
T: 01256 584000
K J Smith Solicitors - Beaconsfield Office Cross Keys,
18 Wycombe End,
T: 01494 629000
K J Smith Solicitors - Guildford Office Parallel House,
32 London Road,
T: 01483 370100
K J Smith Solicitors - Henley-on-Thames Office 33-35 Station Road,
T: 01491 630000
K J Smith Solicitors - London Office Second Floor,
218 The Strand,
T: 020 7070 0330
K J Smith Solicitors - Reading Office 5-7 Headley Road,
T: 0118 418 1000
K J Smith Solicitors - Windsor Office Castle Hill House,
12 Castle Hill,
T: 01753 325000