Published: 24th March 2020
As the country is adjusting to life with COVID-19, parents are confronting a host of new dilemmas regarding their children. We at K J Smith Solicitors are now being asked to advise clients in relation to a range of scenarios.
These are some of the many enquiries we have had from our concerned clients:
1. What happens where there is a court contact order saying my child has to spend time with my ex-partner but I am concerned about their attitude to the virus? Can I prevent contact in these circumstances?
2. What happens if my child has an underlying health condition, such as asthma, which increases their risk of contracting COVID-19? Can I refuse contact?
3. What happens if my ex-partner is preventing me from spending time with my child using the virus as a reason? If I miss out on contact now, am I entitled to extra contact in the future?
4. What happens where there is no court order but instead I have an informal agreement? Can I obtain an order so as to regularise arrangements?
5. What happens where my child is living with an elderly relative or someone from an at risk group? Can I do anything about this?
The COVID-19 crisis is giving rise to all kinds of questions which were not foreseen when you entered into your agreement about childcare, whether formal or informal. We at K J Smith Solicitors can help you answer these questions, advise you on the law and help you solve your particular problem.
We offer a free 45 minute no-obligation meeting via Skype, Facetime, Zoom, or another medium most convenient for you. Do get in contact if you feel we could help you.
We would encourage you to stay informed about the current advice from NHS England in relation to COVID-19. You can find all the latest guidance at www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/.
All our offices are easily accessible by road, rail or bus and we are open Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 6:00pm. With today's busy schedules, we offer telephone appointments outside normal office hours until 9pm on Thursdays and between 10am and 3pm on Saturdays.
Not sure which office is closest to you? Try our Office Finder.
If you would like to visit our team of family solicitors, we have offices in Henley-on-Thames, Woodley, Reading (Head Office), Reading (Central), Basingstoke, Guildford, Beaconsfield, Ascot, Newbury & Winchester. We serve a wide range of other areas including Abingdon, Bracknell, Gerrards Cross, Maidenhead, Marlow, Oxford, Slough, High Wycombe and Wokingham.
We are always looking for exceptional people to join our team.
Whether you are considering a move now or at some point in the future, we would love to hear from you and learn more about your career goals and motivations.
At K J Smith we pride ourselves on our commitment to offering support, guidance and career development across all roles. You will receive a competitive salary along with a comprehensive range of benefits.
Partner at our Ascot office
"I joined K J Smith with an open mind and with the expectation of developing and adding diversity and challenge to my career, having spent 23 years in a comfortable position with a traditional high street practice.
I can honestly say that K J Smith have exceeded my expectations. Since joining, I have felt supported and encouraged by the firm’s continued commitment to growth and improvement. The company allow staff at all levels to have a voice and recognise the importance of investment in their employees at every level."