What Rights Do Grandparents Have To See Grandchildren When Parents Split Up?

Published: 12th March 2013

When couples with children end a relationship, one of the biggest issues they have to deal with is to work out the arrangements for children. Parents often struggle to agree on fundamental questions like where the children should live and how much contact each parent should have with the children.

However, one common casualty in the breakdown of a relationship between parents is the relationship of the children with their grandparents. Sometimes, one parent can try to prevent the other parent’s parents from having any contact with their grandchildren. If this happens then what rights do grandparents have?

Can grandparents apply to the Court for a Contact Order?

Only people with parental responsibility, for example, parents or those with a Residence Order in their favour can make an application for a contact order. However, grandparents can apply for permission from the court to make a court application in respect of their grandchildren. In deciding the case the Court will consider the following:

  • The applicant’s (Grandparents) connection with the child
  • The nature of the application
  • Is the application harmful to the child’s welfare?

If permission is granted, the grandparents can apply through the Court for a contact order in respect of the child or children concerned.

Assuming one or both parents raise objection to the contact application, it is likely that there will be a hearing when you will be able to put forward your case. If you have not already done so, it is important at this stage to obtain legal advice on grandparents rights as you will need to persuade the court that being part of your grandchildren’s lives is a significant benefit to them.

In deciding a case, the Court will consider what is in the interests of the children using the Welfare Checklist. It is only in extreme circumstances, for example physical or emotional abuse, where the Court will refuse contact with Grandparents.

What is a Contact Order and how is it enforced?

A contact order requires the person with whom the children live to allow the children to visit or stay with the person named in the order. The Order may include direct contact where the grandparent have face to face contact with the grandchildren or indirect contact, for example, telephone, letters, cards, birthday, Christmas gifts and emails.

A Contact Order can be enforced but with good legal advice at the outset which will ensure that the contact order you have is successful, there may be no need to enforce.

Thankfully, most people abide by contact orders but some will refuse and this can be enforced. The penalties for not abiding by a contact order are:

  • A fine
  • Community Service
  • Imprisonment (although a court is unlikely to wish to deprive the child of the primary carer)

Finding a good family law solicitor and taking good legal advice at the outset will ensure that you are taking all the necessary steps to obtain a successful order.

To arrange a free 45 minute consultation, please contact us today on 01491 630000 (Henley on Thames), 0118 418 1000 (Reading Head Office), 0118 418 1200 (Reading Central), 01753 325000 (Windsor), 01256 584000 (Basingstoke), 01483 370100 (Guildford), 01494 629000 (Beaconsfield), 01235 375500 (Abingdon), 01344 513000 (Ascot) or email info@kjsmith.co.uk.

Our Office Locations

All our offices are easily accessible by road, rail or bus and we are open Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 6:00pm. With today's busy schedules, we offer telephone appointments outside normal office hours until 9pm on Thursdays and between 10am and 3pm on Saturdays.

Not sure which office is closest to you? Try our Office Finder.

If you would like to visit our team of family solicitors, we have offices in Henley-on-Thames, Woodley, Reading (Head Office), Reading (Central), Basingstoke, Guildford, Beaconsfield, Ascot & Newbury. We serve a wide range of other areas including Abingdon, Bracknell, Gerrards Cross, Maidenhead, Marlow, Oxford, Slough, High Wycombe and Wokingham.

Why not contact our team of divorce solicitors for a free initial consultation today? We offer a free initial consultation that can take place in any one of our offices or over the telephone.

Client Testimonials

We are proud to have represented many excellent clients. Below are some comments our clients have made about us.

Free Consultation

Free Initial Consultation

To find out how we can help you, please contact us for a free initial consultation. Call or email, we will be happy to speak to you about your options and how we can help.